As a child, when my mom introduced me to spinach dip, all I heard was S-P-I-N-A-C-H, and was instantly repulsed. I just could not imagine how anything with a spinach base could be tasty. After a bit of reasoning, I finally decided to give it a try and guess what? I fell head over heels, in love. I’m glad that I decided to trust and believe :p .
- half bag of frozen chopped spinach (500 g bag)
- 1/2 block of cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 instant noodles seasoning packet – chicken flavour
- Boil and drain spinach. As the spinach boils, it absorbs a lot of water. For the best results, ensure that all of the water is completely drained.
- Grate the cheese and combine all of the ingredients.
- Heat the mixture for 90 seconds in the microwave.
Serve HOT with nacho chips!
There are so many ways to make macaroni pie, its almost unreal. For me, the Bahamian way is bomb and triumphs over all others. [I may or may not be bias :)]
I usually eat it as a side dish, alongside my greens and meat, but I have seen many people eat an entire plate of macaroni pie as a meal. So, I guess it is really up to you!
- 1 half box of Macaroni, ready cut noodles (500 g box)
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 bell pepper (you can use any colour, although my favourite is yellow)
- 1 block of mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tin evaporated milk (370 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of butter (can be substituted with margarine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil the macaroni noodles (follow the directions on the package.)
- Finely chop the onion and bell pepper and grate the entire block of cheese. (Put aside until the noodles have finished boiling.)
- Once the noodles have boiled, pour all of the water out of the pot and return to stove on low heat. Add butter immediately and stir.
- Add the evaporated milk, eggs, chopped onion and bell pepper. Stir until everything is blended together. (The stove should remain on low heat)
- Add 3/4 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish. Use a spoon to make the top of the pie even, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.