There are so many ways to make macaroni pie, its almost unreal. For me, the Bahamian way is bomb and triumphs over all others. [I may or may not be bias :)]
I usually eat it as a side dish, alongside my greens and meat, but I have seen many people eat an entire plate of macaroni pie as a meal. So, I guess it is really up to you!
- 1 half box of Macaroni, ready cut noodles (500 g box)
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 bell pepper (you can use any colour, although my favourite is yellow)
- 1 block of mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tin evaporated milk (370 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of butter (can be substituted with margarine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil the macaroni noodles (follow the directions on the package.)
- Finely chop the onion and bell pepper and grate the entire block of cheese. (Put aside until the noodles have finished boiling.)
- Once the noodles have boiled, pour all of the water out of the pot and return to stove on low heat. Add butter immediately and stir.
- Add the evaporated milk, eggs, chopped onion and bell pepper. Stir until everything is blended together. (The stove should remain on low heat)
- Add 3/4 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish. Use a spoon to make the top of the pie even, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.