Chilli is definitely a family favourite; Its a fun meal, perfect for any occasion. In my household, we eat it with nachos, sour cream and cheddar cheese, but honestly, I think its good enough to eat alone if you really wanted to 😉 .
I made this for dinner last night and it was fabulous!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 small bell pepper (preferably green)
- 1 celery rib
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 can kidney beans (19 oz)
- 2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 4 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli oil
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Cook onions, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil until the onions are transparent and peppers and celery are soft.
- Add ground beef to the mixture and cook until browned, then drain excess fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer on medium heat.
- Let simmer on low heat for 1.5 – 2 hours and stir occasionally.
Don’t forget your nacho chips, sour cream and cheddar!